Summer is around the corner, and it is time to enjoy the sunshine and cool evening out in the open; start getting your garden ready. It is not difficult, and it gives you a chance to get started on all the landscaping plans you made during the winter. Remember, even with COVID 19 vaccinations and other precautions, the home is still the safest place to be and if you want to entertain, the garden is the place to do it.
- Tidy Things Up: It normal to tidy up a house (or even a man cave!) before guests arrive. So why not do the same for the garden? Neatly edged flowerbeds, trimmed shrubs, the absence of leaves and twigs lying around all go into creating the impression of a garden that has been cared for.
- Clean Up the Lawn: Remove any weeds that may have found their way into the grass. Check the lawnmower to ensure the blades are sharp, and the grass will be cut neatly. Do not trim the grass too short so that the next mowing will be due later. A mowing height of 2 to 3 inches will allow the grass to develop stronger roots and make the lawn more drought-resistant.
- Add Color: The first impression that a person gets about a garden is from the colors that the eye beholds. The brighter and more different the colors, the more the optical senses are excited, and this, in turn, leads to the beginning of the “Wow” factor. Besides refreshing the flower beds, think about hanging baskets around the patio or other places where people will be spending time.
- Fragrance: It is easy to overlook the importance of fragrance in landscaping. Scent may not make the same kind of immediate impact as sight, but it can be as influential in affecting the perception of beauty and creating a higher level of peace and comfort. Aromatherapy is not pseudoscience. Research proves that it plays an important role in our appreciation of the world around us.
- Create a Fresh, Interesting Landscape: The landscape is a way to show your personal style to the world. Besides the foliage, you can use statues, large urns, benches, driftwood, retaining walls, walkways, lighting, water features, and much more to create an outdoor world that is your own.
- Do Not Forget The Patio: This is the multi-function area of the garden. It is where you can chill out, exercise, entertain, barbeque, or just do nothing. Patio landscaping is not easy – the patio must be functional while still adding to the beauty of the overall landscape.
Also Read: 5 Common Patio Landscape Mistake to Avoid
You can do a lot to build the perfect open-air environment this summer. However, keep in mind that the best results require more than just your green thumb. Knowledge of soil and climatic conditions, irrigation needs, artistic sensibilities, maintenance needs, and experience in landscaping all come together to provide the platform for a great garden. It is for this reason that the best landscapes, the ones where people love to spend time out in the open, are those that are created by a professional landscaping service.