A lawn irrigation system may seem like a luxury for the average homeowner – unless he has a really big lawn. The reality, however, is that putting in a landscape irrigation system offers a host of benefits, and the cost, when all the advantages are factored in, is much less than most people think.
- Money-Saving: An irrigation system is calibrated to use and supply a specific amount of water that will depend on the soil, plant types, climatic conditions, etc. Because of this, there is no wastage of water, and the overall usage is less compared to manual watering. This means that your water bills come down.
- Adds Value to Your Home: Whether or not you have plans of selling your home, maintaining its value is important. Curb appeal is a factor that has a huge impact on property values, and a lush green lawn has an immediate positive impact. The lower water bills are another useful selling point that adds to the home’s value. A lush green lawn has a cooling effect during the hot weather, and this will help to reduce the air conditioning load, so energy consumption also comes down.
- Environmentally Friendly: Because the usage of water is so well controlled and water wastage is eliminated, a lawn irrigation system is extremely environmentally friendly. Additionally, a healthy lawn will absorb greenhouse gases and release pure oxygen, making the air around your house healthier. The strong root system of a healthy lawn will bind the soil and reduce erosion.
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Your home is the center of your life, and how it looks and appeals impacts how comfortable you feel in it. A well-irrigated landscape adds beauty to the overall ambiance of the house and makes it a more peaceful place to live in.
- Convenience: Even for homeowners who love gardening, watering the lawn can be a tedious, repetitive chore. With landscape irrigation, the water is done automatically, so all you need to do is enjoy the beauty of your surroundings.
- Automatic Operation: When the family goes on vacation, the house can be locked up, but what happens to the lawn that will need to be watered regularly? An irrigation system can be programmed to run automatically so that when you return home, you are greeted by a green garden, not a dead one.
There are other benefits too, depending on the type and size of the landscape to be irrigated. A landscaping professional will be able to give you all the information you need.
Buying a lawn irrigation system is not like buying a shirt – pick the one you like, pay for it, and go home. The system needs to be suitable for the area to be irrigated, the types of plants, shrubs, and foliage that need to be watered, and several other factors. Making the wrong choice could mean that some, if not all, of the benefits given here are lost. The best way to get the landscape irrigation system that is right for your home is to consult a professional landscape service that will be able to evaluate your irrigation needs, offer you systems that will work best, give you the inputs you need to make the right decisions, and install it for you.