According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), not only does great curb appeal equal money in the bank at closing, 276% of the cost of upkeep is recovered at the time of sale. This is serious money. Landscaping services not only make your home a beautiful place to live, but it also increases its value. The right way to get the look you want and to ensure that the investment pays off is to consult a landscaping specialist.
Landscaping does not mean that you can plant flowers and shrubs all over the yard and expect that to bring in thousands of dollars when you sell. It doesn’t work that way! A prospective buyer will look at the overall appeal of the landscape, its maintenance and the effort that will be required to keep it looking its best and how much that maintenance will cost.
Landscaping Basics for Value Addition
The basics of using curb appeal to add to your home’s market value are given below.
- Cut and edge your grass. A neat lawn indicates a neat and careful homeowner. Remember that overcutting the grass or doing it too often can lead to ugly brown patches appearing.
- Trim the shrubs. This is not as easy as it sounds – what looks neat and clean when you are close to it could appear to be ragged and uneven from a distance.
- Apply fresh mulch at regular intervals. This will keep the soil moist and make the foliage look fresher.
- Flowers always add to a garden’s beauty. However, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. The look of your garden must appeal to you but it should not turn off others. With a reasonable variety of flowering plants that do not clash and are of the right size, you should be safe.
- Add features like fountains, koi ponds, walkways, lighting and so on to make the garden something special.
- An effective irrigation system will make life easier for you and will also be appreciated by a potential buyer.
These are just a few basic ideas. There is a lot more that can be done to add to your home’s appeal and value.
Also Read: What to expect from creative landscaping experts?
Do It Right
The American Society of Landscape Architects says that investing 10% of your home’s value in landscaping could increase its value by 15%. That may seem excessive to many so it need not be a thumb rule. What is undeniable is that an appealing landscape adds to market value. Whether you are planning to sell your house or just want to increase its beauty for your family’s pleasure and enjoyment, spending your money wisely is the key to making the kind of investments that will pay off. That means having an expert to not only tell you what to do, but to implement the plan. A professional landscaping company is where your investment in adding to your home’s value should start.