Your home may be your castle, but that does not mean that it is not a place full of noise, movement and, at times, stress. You love your home and wouldn’t change it for the world, but there are occasions when you feel the need for more peace and tranquility than what you find in the house. The way to find what you are looking for is to create a backyard getaway. An oasis of peace and calm can enhance your home immensely and make your castle your palace.
Here are a few ideas on how you can do it.
- Add color to your patio or deck. Decide on a color scheme or pattern and then get outdoor pillows to suit either your existing furniture or the new pieces you plan to buy. Go in for UV-resistant, quick-drying fabrics. You could even go in for an outdoor rug, if that’s your style.
- Create a lounging spot. Outdoor chairs and couches are fine when you want to chill out with others. But there are times when you want solitude and for that there is nothing like a hammock. If possible, find a spot for it that is a little away from the patio/deck so that you are undisturbed by the surrounding sounds.
- Choose the right plants. Some plants and shrubs are known to promote relaxation. Their combination of colors, sizes and scents all come together to create an atmosphere of relaxation. The more of these you have around your backyard oasis, the better.
- Add lighting for the night. Your backyard oasis is not only for daytime use. When the weather is right, it can be a great place to chill out after dark with a glass of wine or a favorite snack – either alone or with company. Add well-designed lighting that is not harsh and instead adds a warm glow to the area. This will add another dimension to your oasis.
- Ensure there are shady spots. No matter how much you love the sun, there are times when you will want to cool off in the shade. Make sure that you have the shady spots you need to unwind in. Consider linking the patio and the shady spots with a flagstone walkway.
- Think about food and drink. Unwinding and hunger often go hand in hand. If possible, think about a small outdoor kitchen attached to the deck and/or a small but well-equipped bar area.
- Ensure your privacy. Fences and garden walls are great, but often they are not enough to shield you from the eyes of neighbors. Use pergolas, lattices and landscape features to block off prying eyes.
- Are you the hot tub type? If so, adding a hot tub or spa will give you a truly luxurious backyard island of peace and quiet where you can really unwind.
There is a lot more that you could do to create your perfect backyard spa. Great backyard landscaping can add so much to your home. To be sure of doing it properly and getting the best results, give the project to a landscaping professional. He will have ideas and design concepts that the average homeowner will not know.